Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Finally Settled In!

This new post marks a departure from my usual blogging style. Instead of typing an extremely long post, I'll just make my posts short (and hopefully sweet). This is partly due to the fact that I am operating under severe time constrains and cannot dedicate the better part of two hours to typing a blog entry that hardly anyone reads. So, instead of posting huge updates weekly, I'll be trying to make daily posts - but they'll be brief enough to cover what's important and lengthened if anything interesting happens. But I have to warn you that this is still an interim format and don't go commenting hey, where the heck is your daily post that you promised? because, if you do, I'll probably ask you to read up the word "interim" in a dictionary.

So. Yes, I've arrived in Sheffield in one piece, much to the chagrin of my friends, I'm sure. Haha! The flight here was absolutely shitty. My seat was located at the emergency exit, and although I had plenty of leg room, my seat was also located near the lavatories. Try napping with people going in and out of a bathroom incessantly - and add the fact that the flushing noises are perfectly audible from where I am sitting, you'll find that it's pretty much impossible. I spent most of my time trying to sleep, and the rest trying to figure out how to remove the TV screen from underneath my seat where it was stowed. And yes, I did finally manage to remove it - only to watch Mr and Mrs Smith again. When the plane finally landed, I felt incredibly jet-lagged - a first for me!

After landing at the airport, I was brought to Sheffield via a chartered bus with the rest of the other students. The trip there was like going to Genting Highlands multiplied by 5. Very puke-inducing for those who are prone to motion-sickness, but it made me feel oh so drowsy...hahaha.. Being an adrenaline junkie, anything that tries to pass of as exciting but fails just puts me into a sleepy stupor. When I finally arrived at my hall, all I wanted to do was to throw myself onto my bed and surrender to blissful sleep. And that was exactly what I did - although my bed had no sheets, pillows, nor blankets. Bad choice. I froze throughout the night, and I finally resorted to using my winter clothing and jackets to cover myself. Not a very pleasant first night in Sheffield.

The next day, I went to register myself as a student of the University. I had to walk around half a kilometre to the campus - and I had never been there in my life before! I relied on just a map to get there, and surprisingly, I didn't get lost even once on my first day! Registered, collected my UCard, yadda yadda yadda, got my University Health Service thingy done, and I was all set to go! I spent the rest of the day going around with a new friend of mine - and she showed me around the city, the areas to shop, the Students' Union and other interesting places. Many thanks to her for being my 'tour guide' for my first day! Hahaha! After that, it was Fresher's Week stuff, which included plenty of pubbing/clubbing, but I wasn't really interested in all that, so I spent more time settling into my hall, buying my duvets and pillows and making new acquaintances! After that week, I was more or less settled into my new surroundings - thank goodness that I haven't felt any bouts of homesickness yet! Haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home