Sunday, March 05, 2006

Let It Snow...

So much for my expectations of a snow-blanketed Sheffield after returning back here from the sunny equatorial lands of Malaysia. Besides some heavy snowfall around Boxing Day, there hasn't been any snow here all winter - are the Gods of the weather trying to mock me?! No snow during winter?! What dastardly turn of events has befallen humanity? I have this nagging feeling that they are, and I bet that they're probably laughing somewhere in their God-world, reclining on God-couches, conversing in God-speak and laughing while pointing at me, an infestimally small and insignificant object to them on a tiny Life-bearing orb of earth, water and air suspended in the infinity of the Universe. Everyone's been saying that the past winter has been one of the mildest in ages - there has hardly been any snow and the weather has more or less been rather nice! Looks like the tag "jinx to snowfall" that has been pinned on me won't come off so easily.

However, in a truly unexpected turn of events, it snowed last Friday, on my last day of the ICE module! I was going down to dinner with my group of friends when we suddenly noticed that it was snowing outside - we didn't really give it much thought since we thought that it would just snow for a while and stop, characteristic of the type of snowfall we've seen all winter. After dinner, we noticed that it was still snowing, which is rather odd since it is unusual for it to have snowed for that long. Even stranger, still, was the fact that it was snowing even more heavily! I went out to savour the rare occasion and met Hsin Yu at the door, who was even more excited at seeing snowfall than me - so much so that her exuberance drew the attention of people who were coming out of the dining hall. Tommy joined us a few moments later and joined us in our impromptu celebration of snowfall (yes, this sounds dysfunctional...but forgive us since we rarely see snowfall).

We had a took some pictures, had a brief but intense snowball fight and generally just messed around with the all the snow lying around since there was enough snow fell to make a layer of snow on the ground. As I was stupid enough to trust Jian (a Singaporean guy doing architecture who also lives in Halifax Hall) to just throw snowballs at my legs since I was drinking from a cup, I received a snowball in my face at point-blank range. Efforts to retaliate were futile as he was already doing a 100m dash from me. After a while, the area outside the main entrance of Halifax Hall resembled a warzone with 2" spherical snow projectiles hurled indiscriminately at anyone within firing range with varying levels of accuracy - it wasn't uncommon to get hit by a snowball that was aimed at another person! We went back in after a while to celebrate Jun Xue's birthday by going on a Lord of the Rings movie marathon - we watched the entire "extended edition" trilogy in a day. I've never watched three movies in a day, much less at one go, but it was fun nonetheless! No excuses for forgetting what happened before! Hahaha!

Here are some pictures!

Image hosting by Photobucket
Hsin-Yu and myself, just outside the main entrance of Halifax Hall. She was on her phone screaming "It's snowing! Snowing!". Pretty scary. Hahaha!

Image hosting by Photobucket
Hsin-Yu and Tommy enjoying the snowfall! The snowfall was getting heavier and heavier, and by the time this picture was taken, it actually obscured some shots taken!

Image hosting by Photobucket
Hsin-Yu and myself again. As you can see, she was pretty excited about the fact that it was snowing - but I don't blame her! I guess I was pretty excited about the fact that it was snowing as well! Haha!

Image hosting by Photobucket
Tommy and myself posing for a picture in the oh-so-pretty scene of falling snowflakes.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Hsin-Yu insisted that I had a picture of myself with snowflakes all over my hair and jacket...hahaha!

Image hosting by Photobucket
From left - myself, Tommy and Su-Ann.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Jun Xue is in heaven - check out his blissful expression! Looks like this year he got particularly good "presents" - who wouldn't want to be flanked by two pretty girls?

Image hosting by Photobucket
Group picture of everyone after our barbaric snowfight. No animals (especially furry rodents such as squirrels) were harmed in the tactical maneuvers undertaken in our epic battle.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Hsin-Yu was adamant about making a snowman, but with the amount of snow that fell was just not enough to manufacture anything else besides snowballs. However, she went ahead anyway and made a chibi snowman. Looks like she's munching it.... Poor snowman.

P.S. - Finally checked my grades for the Critical Analysis SSC! I got a "Good"! Hahaha! I'm perfectly satisfied with that - my presentation skills aren't top notch anyway! Now just two more to worry about...

P.P.S. - I forgot to thank Hiromi for cooking me lunch last Monday! Thanks a lot! It's been a long while since I had a proper lunch, and it certainly made my week! Hahaha!

P.P.P.S. - The ICE module is finally over! No more commuting to Doncaster at the break of dawn each day! But it was a pretty interesting experience nonetheless - I got to visit a place I had never been to before and to meet new people and to talk to them. However, my wallet has suffered much the last week...I think it's time for some serious scrimping and saving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home