Tuesday, October 11, 2005

What A Day...

For some reason, I tumbled out of bed feeling extremely pissed off today. I thought maybe I had a violent dream that I forgot about the moment I woke up - sometimes dreams that involve violence, blood and death have that effect on me. But no, these past few nights have been strangely dreamless. Dreams are what they are, a reel of subconscious possibilities, thoughts, fears and ideas of our waking time replaying in themselves in our minds unfettered by consciousness when we sleep. And my dreams visit me often, though I heed them not. Stepping up to my washbasin and peering into the mirror, what I saw was a very haggard, bleary and extremely unpleasant expression me staring back at myself. Strange. My runny nose was getting better. My sore throat's gone. How come I still feel so...wierd? I looked at my bed and the answer hit me in a flash.

My bed's mattress sucks. Really, really sucks. Sucks so much that even hard vacuum loses to it. I assume you get the point. Anyway, my mattress has a topography of its own. There's a couple of mountain ranges, a few valleys and a couple of craters. Every night, when I sleep, I have to orientate myself in the 'clear zone' that has the least amount of deviation from level surface. To do otherwise risks waking up with a funny feeling or a soreness in your posterior thoracic and lumbar regions and I suppose that was what exactly happened to me last night. Being a rather 'mobile' person in my sleep, as all of my close friends will attest to readily, I usually cover every square inch of the bed in my wanderings when I'm sleeping. Looks like my efforts to fall asleep and wake up in the same position haven't been exactly fruitful. Anyway, that's besides the point. I think I'll need another duvet of mattress protector underneath me.

Did the upper and lower digestive tract today in the Anatomy and Physiology Practical today. Extremely fun, but something wierd happened during the practical as well. While I was playing with the small intestine on the dissection table, I was suddenly forcibly reminded of the pig intestines in "bak kut teh". That would have seemed alright, if it had gone no further - but I suddenly felt hungry! What the hell?! Feeling hungry in the dissection room is incredibly out of place, and if you told me you felt hungry while handling stuff that came out of another person, I'd take a good 5 paces away from you before recommending you get psychiatric help! I must have a cannibal hidden somewhere in the darker recesses of my mind! Hahaha! However, Sohan (one of my friends, a first year med student from Sri Lanka) said that it's the phenol and formaldehyde that makes you feel like that in there - for what reason he didn't elaborate! Maybe it's because I was reminded of alcohol and so my stomach interpreted it as incoming food/fluid to digest! Ah, whatever. Doesn't really matter anyway.

Fell asleep in Medicine and Society - Critical Numbers, Data Display and Summary. The lecture was B-O-R-I-N-G. The guy in front was going on and on and on in an endless drone - people were nodding off left and right! I spent more time trying to keep my eyes open than to look at the slides. I felt so warm and toasty in my jacket....they must have forgotten to switch the air conditioning on, as I usually don't feel like that in the Lecture Theatre. After a while I gave up and fell asleep, only to wake up 10 minutes later with drool on my jacket. Ugh. Next time I'll try to smuggle some sweets into the Lecture Theatre so that I'll at least stay awake doing something.

By the way, check out this website - www.mininerva.org.uk! It's a parody of the webportal of the Medical School, created by students, for students! It's a laugh - remember to check out the timetables and the Church of Bax!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home