Monday, November 28, 2005

First Snowfall

For a glorious fifteen minutes today, I was 5 years old again. How should I describe it? Unadulterated wonder? Pure joy? Heartfelt bliss? Words are insufficient to describe the heights to which our human hearts can soar - everything is a lie when we speak of emotions, for the words themselves do no justice to what we truly feel. For the first time in my life, I saw snowfall. I was about to leave for my lectures when I drew my curtains aside and saw snowflakes in their gentle descent from the heavens. Needless to say, I threw on my triple layers of clothing, winter jacket, socks and shoes and hurried out of my room as quickly as I could - and out into the falling snow.

For the first time in a long while, my heart was unfettered by the chains of daily life as I stood there watching the snowflakes fall. I could have stood there, just looking up, until I either froze to death or the snowing stopped. However, I didn't want to be late for my lectures either, so I reluctantly shouldered my bag and went off to my lectures. I thought the snowfall would have stopped after my lectures, but my lectures finished early since there was a problem with the Powerpoint file - and it was snowing even more heavily outside! Walked back with my "Leader", Rexanna, after the lectures and we stopped at the Botanical Gardens along the way. It was a sight indeed - a thin layer of snow was on the grass and the autumn hue of the leaves on the trees made for a very pretty landscape!

Wanting to capture the moment, I took pictures using my shitty phone camera and regretted not bringing my camera along. The pictures came out like what you'd expect out of a 4096 colour phone - distinguishable, but incredibly grainy. However, once I reached Halifax Hall, I promptly whipped out my camera and took a few pictures of the surroundings. My parents used to joke that I was sort of a "jinx" to snowfall - it never snows whenever we go for holidays! For instance, one of our main reasons for visiting Korea a few years back was to "see snow". However, despite the winter being the coldest in 35 years (-7 degrees in daytime), it still didn't snow! Everyone in Korea was puzzled at this anomaly - but I thought I knew the reason why! Anyway, this disproves the "jinx" theory...haha!

Here are some pictures taken from Wei Jin's room's window - his room has a much better view than mine, believe me!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

P.S. - Many thanks to Jit Sen for wishing me a happy birthday, even though strictly speaking, over here it still isn't my birthday yet! Haha! Thanks, man!

2 Comments:

At 7:18 AM , Blogger senaiboy said...

Hey happy birthday dude =). Too bad we aren't there to sing the birthday song for u.. i'm sure u r in need of one really badly =P

and erm.. u still haven't give us ur UK number yet.. guess u'll hv to be content with a birthday wish here la.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! =D

PS - Jem wanted to send u some more whitish fluid as ur birthday present haha..

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger yong chen said...

Hahaha! Thanks man! As for the UK no., I'll pass it to you guys if I see any of you guys online. And yeah, I don't mind more whitish fluid - it's not bad, although I'd prefer beer, really. See you when I see you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home